Deadline: Friday, November 16, 2012, City's Server to receive electronic application by 12 midnight.
Completed on-line grant applications should be received by the City's server by 12 midnight. In addition, one hard copy of the application should be received by 5 pm Monday, November 19, 2012at the Durant Arts Center, 1605 Cameron Street, Alexandria, VA. Faxed submissions and attachments will not be accepted. Late and/or incomplete applications will be deemed as ineligible. No exceptions will be made.
Grant Award Notification:
All applicants will be notified, in writing, of Fiscal Year 2013-2014 Commission funding decisions in June 2013.
Assistance in preparing applications is available through the grant workshops that will be held on Monday, October 22, 7:00 pm; Thursday, October 25, 2:00 pm.
Durant Arts Center, 1605 Cameron St. Each session will run for approximately 2 hours. Attendance at one of the two sessions is strongly encouraged.
Access And Equal Opportunity:
Federal, State and City of Alexandria statutes require all applicants to comply with laws and regulations governing nondiscrimination. These include but are not limited to: not discriminating because of race, color, sex, religion, ancestry, national origin, marital status, age, sexual orientation or disability.
Assistance To Special Constituencies:
If reasonable accommodation is needed, please call (703) 746-5588; TTY (703) 838-4902.
The Commission issues annually the Guide to Funding containing detailed information on eligibility and instructions on application submission. The Guide is considered an integral part of the grant application form. Failure to follow instructions contained in this Guide will result in an ineligible proposal. The following are general instructions regarding completion and submission for all grant programs:
- Fiscal Year: The Fiscal year period used by the City of Alexandria begins July 1 and ends June 30. All applicants must use this funding period when providing information requested. For this application, the Past Year is defined as Fiscal Year 2012 (July 1, 2011-June 30, 2012); the Current Year is defined as Fiscal Year 2013 (July 1, 2012-June 30, 2013); Projected/Grant Year for which you are requesting funding, is defined as Fiscal Year 2014 ( July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014).
- Space Requirements and Font Size: Completed applications must be typed. Handwritten applications or forms altered in any fashion will render a proposal ineligible.
- Number of copies: One copy of the original application and attachments need to be received by the Commission's Office by the deadline indicated above.
- Required Signature: The application must be signed and dated by a person authorized to act for the applicant.
Grants should be submitted with pages in the order listed below.
- Cover Page: All grant applications should include a cover page.
- Grant Specific Required Attachments: An outline of attachments is provided for each of the grant types offered by the Commission. Appropriate attachments must accompany each grant application. Consult the Grant Program specific outline for the grant type for which you are applying
- City Arts Operational Grant. Available to non-profit arts organizations based in the City of Alexandria.
- City Arts Project Grant. Available to non-profit arts organizations active in the City and individual artists who reside in the City for art activities performed or presented within the City of Alexandria.|
- Technical Assistance Grant. Available to non-profit arts organizations based in the City of Alexandria.
- Special Opportunity Awards. Small-scale grants available to non-profit arts organizations active in the City of Alexandria.
- General Attachments:
Applications from organizations should include 1 copy of the following: a) The proposal’s narrative; b) Program Calendar Sheet; c) Budget Forms; d) List of the board and committee members. Include: name, title, address and telephone number; e) professional resume of artist director, managing executive director and other key personnel; f) Fiscal Year 2011-2012 or Fiscal Year 2012-2013 or most recent financial statement signed by the organization’s accountant or fiscal officer; g) current reviews or promotional materials (six items maximum); and h) most current letters of support (3 letters maximum).
- Single Copy Attachments: Copy of the organization’s a) IRS Letter of Determination and b) copy of artistic work sample and description.
Artistic Work Samples:
All applicants for City Arts Operational and City Arts Project grants for both organizations and individuals are required to submit artistic work samples for the evaluation of the proposal’s artistic merit. These samples should not, generally, be more than two years old. Audio/video samples should be accompanied by a one-page narrative to explain the work. In many instances a single medium (CD, Video, cassette, etc.) can contain several specific samples.
- Dance: One and up to two video work samples.
- Literature: Three and up to five work samples. If submitting excerpts, provide synopsis.
- Music: one and up to two work samples of at least 5 minutes duration. CD, cassette tape, DVD or video accepted.
- Theatre: One, and up to three video selections (unless such selections would be in violation of the copyright/royalty agreements).
- Visual Arts: slides or photographs of at least 10 different work samples. Applicants are requested to include a slide/photograph identification sheet. In the case of a presenter submitting works by diverse artists the listing should include the name of the applicant and artist name, title, medium, size, and date of completion of work.
- Interdisciplinary: A minimum of two and up to 5 works samples demonstrating the integration of disciplines in the work.
If a potential applicant encounters difficulties in submission of samples in the quantities and types noted above, the Commission should be contacted (prior to the submission of a grant application) to seek permission to substitute for or truncate these requirements. For specific information call (703) 746-5588. Work samples should be accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope if their return is desired.